Newsletter Contact History Roll Gallery Archive Sundry

what’s new

Read the current newsletter.

Please view the new Sundry page with many new items

Join or view the Scotus Academy Facebook Page

Site Map

Please sign our new Guestbook

Please download, complete and return the questionnaire, which will be used in a book that Ricky Demarco is hoping to write about Scotus.

Find us on Facebook

Make sure you are on Lindsay Wilson's mailing list. Contact him here.

The Scotian - Spring 1974





































122 Corstorphine Road,
Edinburgh EH12 6TX.
Tel. 031 334 4422

Rector: Rev. Brother N. T. Livingstone, B.A.


Right Revd. Mgr. P. F. Quille, M.A., Dip. Econ.
J. Bartholomew, M.A., F.R.S.E.
J. Donoghue, Esq.

Revd. Fr. Karl-H. Kruger, M.A., Ph.L.
Revd. Bro. J. L. Ford, B.A.

Revd. Bro. M. B. Thornhill, B.A.



Captain: Mark Shannon.
Vice-Captain: Paul Doherty.


Michael Collie
John Drawbell
Richard Edie
Michael Kostrickyj
David Laidlaw
George Maguire
Iain Mackay
James Wee

Captain of Hockey: James Wee.
Captain of Fencing: John Bartholomew.
Skip of Curling: Mark Shannon.



We welcome to the Staff this year Brother K. Rodgers, Mrs. Bryce who is teaching German, and Mrs. Carter who teaches French. Brother F. Hall left us to continue his studies at Liverpool University and Mr. Smith is spending a year at the Bundesdolmetscher Buro, Koln. We wish them both every success. Mr. Whelan has come as School Caretaker and has taken over responsibility for the controlled crossing at the school entrance. We wish him well in his new work.


The report from the General Inspection of the school was received in February 1973. The inspectors were in the main pleased but they criticised certain aspects of accommodation and the lack of certain equipment. These comments were, of course, to be expected owing to the temporary nature of the present school buildings.


A preliminary traffic survey was carried out in January 1973 and as the results were encouraging the Developer then authorized the Traffic Consultant to complete the more detailed study in preparation for building.

Plans were submitted to the Planning Department of the Edinburgh Corporation and came up for consideration on May 2nd, 1973. Only Corstorphine Trust lodged an objection. Unfortunately a political Party seems to have mounted an active campaign against the development of the site.

Planning officials visited the estate, but the application was rejected on the grounds of road congestion during peak hours.

An appeal against the decision was lodged and came up for hearing on October 18 th, 1973. This appeal was turned down on the grounds that the development of the site should be delayed until it could be considered in the light of an overall development plan for the whole area. No such plan has been published, although mention of the proposal for one has circulated for some considerable time. The turning down of the appeal was published in the press at about New Year.



Sixth Year had a formal dinner to make the end of their school career on June 30 th.

Eight boys left from Sixth Year. Four entered University; one to read Civil Engineering at Edinburgh; two attend Heriot-Watt reading Accountancy and Economics, and Chemistry; one went to Strathclyde University to read Architecture. In addition, one boy entered the College of Commerce to Study Accountancy; one was admitted to a Surveyor’s Office; one entered Telford College. Two boys from the school joined the Civil Service and one the Armed Forces.

Six Former Pupils entered University this year, also one entered the College of Agriculture and one has been accepted into the College of Air Training at Hamble.

Graduations from Universities included six this year from Heriot-Watt, one from Edinburgh, one from Glasgow.

The new Sixth Year spent part of their spare time in decorating the former Fifth Year room as a Sixth Year Common Room.


This year saw two new subjects added to the school timetable. These are Economics, in which three Sixth Year boys gained Higher Levels, and Drama.


The visiting speakers on Careers this year included representatives of the Armed Forces, Captain Turner R. N., Squadron Leader Brown R.A. F., and members of the Police, who spoke also on Crime Prevention.

The Fifth and Sixth Years sent groups of visitors to various careers exhibitions, including visits to the College of Art, The College of Textiles, Civil Engineering, the Actuaries Society, the Institute of Chartered Accountants and the Polaris Base at Faslane.

First and Second Year attended the careers exhibition at the Music Hall, George Street. They also made use of Television and Radio careers programmes.

Among the representative speakers from the Universities were Rev. Fr. Ross, chaplain to Edinburgh University, Mr. Wood, schools liaison officer, Heriot-Watt University.

Miss Wilson spoke to us about Shelter, the housing group, and Miss Platt on the work of Simpson House, George Street.

A full day conference on the theme “The Christian Vocation” was held with Rev. Fr. Friel, Bro. Rock, Rev. Sister Fauline, Mr. and Mrs. Mayo, of the Catholic Marriage Guidance Council, forming the panel.

We would like to send our sincere thanks to all the speakers for time and trouble they took in explaining their work.



The class masses were able to continue this year thanks to the members of the city clergy who so generously give us of their time. Our thanks to Fr. M. Donoghue (St. Margaret’s), Fr. J. Robinson (Holy Cross), Fr. H. Gordon (St. John’s), Rt. Rev. J. Monaghan (Holy Cross), Fr. H. McLaughlin (Cathedral), Fr. W. McLaughlin (St. Columba’s), Fr. S. Judge, Fr. J. McAlister, Fr. H. Shannon, Fr. V. Logan, and Fr. Anthony OFM Cap, who conducted the School retreats.

Rev. Fr. Ross O. M. M., conducted the Days of Recollection for the Junior classes, and a one day Fifth and Sixth Year Conference was held in March.

A group of boys continue to visit the sick and aged. One hundred pounds were forwarded to the mission in Liberia and twenty-five pounds to the Archdiocesan mission at Bauchi. Forty pounds were raised by a small group in a recent sponsored walk in aid of the Leukemia Research Fund, in which the group came second. Seniors assisted with the Leith and Old People’s Welfare flag day and the Schools Action Walk in aid of the Crippled Children’s Fund.

In September we had one entry to Langbank Junior Seminary, and a former pupil, Mr. Conacher, made profession at Cistercian Priory of Pluscarden in Elgin.


In June a very successful concert was held in the Church Hill Theatre. The Primary School and some of the Junior classes performed a version of II Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat”. Our thanks are due to Bro. H. Carton, Bro. Francis Hall, Bro. T. Leach, Mrs. Macari, Mrs. McDade and the stage hands responsible for the production.


Alan Brady, a member of the Cathedral Choir, travelled with the Scottish Opera Company in January this year on their tour of Germany. Departure of the singers was filmed at some length by Scottish Television and we were glad to see them happy at the start of their trip.



The sudden death of Mr. Byrne during August deprived the school of a friend and guide. He joined the Staff of Scotus in 1958. As Head of the Mathematics Department He was widely esteemed and many Former Pupils called to see him. Well known in civic circles as the first Catholic Provost of Linlithgow, a position he occupied for five years, pressure of work resulted in his retiring from the Staff in 1972. Last April he invigilated the Scottish Certificate of Education examinations.

Mourners from all walks of life in Linlithgow and beyond gathered in their hundreds pay their respects to the late Provost Fergus Byrne.

It was one of the biggest funerals the burgh witnessed in many years and reflected the high degree of respect and affection felt for this popular civic leader.

Mr. Byrne was in his seventh year as Provost and had been a Ratepayers’ Association representative on the Council for a decade. His first term on the Council was spent as Treasurer. During those ten years he played a leading role in shaping the affair of Linlithgow.

An M.A., Mr. Byrne was for many years senior maths master at Scotus Academy, he had a lively interest in all matters pertaining to education and was a prominent member of the West Lothian Education Trust.

Scouting also claimed his enthusiastic support and he liked too to follow the fortunes of the local football team, Linlithgow Rose.

The Provost, who was a Justice of the Peace, originally came from Broxburn. He is survived by his wife, a son and two daughters. We wish to convey to Mrs. Byrne and this family our deepest sympathy on their sad bereavement. Mr. Ronald Byrne has recently qualified as a lawyer and daughters, Evelyn and Sheila are both doctors, the former in Hong Kong and the latter in Nepal.

The funeral was preceded by Requiem Mass at St. Michael’s Catholic Church conducted by the Rev. Father M. McGovern. The congregation also heard the Rev. Dr. Steele of St. Michael’s Parish Church deliver a fine oration in which he reviewed Provost Byrne’s excellent work on behalf of the community.

A long procession of cars followed the hearse to the cemetery where a large crowd had already gathered. Among the mourners were Provosts and officials from neighbouring burghs; the Member of Parliament, Mr. Tam Dalyell; the County Commissioner of Scotland Major W. Thorburn; and the County Convener, Councillor James Boyle and county officials.

Paying tribute to the late Provost, Mr. Dalyell said: “He was a symbol of all that is good in public life and a civic leader who commanded respect in all sections of the community.”

Senior Bailie Robert Marshall of Linlithgow Town Council said that the Provost’s passing was a great loss to the burgh and county in which he was held in such high esteem. “We who were privileged to know him and work with him deeply regret his passing. He was a very popular and good provost and a friend to all. He showed a true Christian spirit in his duties for Linlithgow.

Provost Byrne sat on the Council when the decisions were made to rebuild the Venal and one of his aims was to see the next phase of the High Street, the co-ownership and a sheltered housing completed in the town. He always tried to do his best for the community and his efforts are worthy of the highest tribute.” Requiescat in pace.



A second good friend was lost to the school when Mr. Jack Robinson, our Caretaker since 1956, died suddenly in May. He was well known to both Parents and boys. Loyalty and integrity were the hallmarks of his years spent at Scotus. To Mrs. Robinson and her family we extend our sympathy in their great loss. The Requiem Mass at St. Kentigern’s, Clermiston was celebrated by Fr. John Robinson. The Rector and two former Rectors attended. The school classes lined the pavements to pay their last respects as the cortege passed church was crowded with many friends from throughout the city. May he rest in peace.


The Association continues to flourish. In February at the Grosvenor Hotel Social the Doctor Doherty Debating Cup was competed for. In April we had a successful Wine and Cheese Evening at the Peacock Hotel. Among those attending the Annual Dinner Dance at the Post House was present Cardinal Gray, whom we thank for the honour and the interest he has constantly shown in Scotus.

We were very sorry to hear of the deaths of two prominent former members of the Scotus Association. Mr. G. Ford was a well known and liked former President, and Mr. J. Anderson a former member of the Committee. May they rest in peace.

In forwarding the work of the school this year the Association has provided help with equipment for the Mathematics., Science, Geography and Art Departments. A new overhead projector and six cassette taperecorders for the Modern Languages Department.

For a second year the Association undertook the responsibility of organizing a Donkey Derby in place of the annual fete and this raised £300 for the school fund. The event is proving itself a very popular and energetic one.

In conclusion, we would as usual invite Scotus parents to undertake a more active role in the Association where they so wish it. We once again thank all those who contributed to our work in 1973.



(This Christian Brothers school in Africa receives the funds collected in Scotus during Lent for the Missions)

Perhaps the happiest occasion in this school year was when our first student to do so,
joined the Christian Brothers. Archbishop Carroll came specially to preside at the occasion. In an impressive ceremony Brother Gillespie accepted Jerome Sirleaf as an Associate Member of our Congregation.

At the end of 1972 we had seven baptisms and fourteen confirmations and this year we hope for about fourteen baptisms. Please pray for the catechumens that they may persevere in the faith.

The YCS (Young Christian Students) continue to make headway in the school. Brother Martin O’Reilly, recently in Scotus Academy, represents us at National HQ. What was probably the first 24-hour fast vigil in Liberia was held by our section in Yekepa when 75 dollars was collected with which we gave a Christmas party to 100 kids from the local villages who had hardly ever heard of Christmas and who certainly did not know its significance. The YCS help teach the youngsters in our own local village, where there is no school. Carroll High made a successful visit to the capital Monrovia when we held two of the top schools in Liberia to a draw in football and were narrowly defeated in basketball. Our music group was the most popular attraction at a National Youth Jamboree held in Monrovia in May. A letter of congratulation came from the Ministry of Labour and Youth, accompanied by a donation to help further musical activities in the school. On Flag Day we paraded publicly with the schools in Yekepa for the first time and attracted much attention by our smart turn out.

We now have a regular slot on Radio LAM CO called Carroll High Calling. It is a fortnightly programme when the students take part in debates, quizzes, musical items, etc. on the air. Each class takes turns to be responsible for the production of a program me.

Our Art Club, founded by Brother DeMontford Egan, is producing fine work now. We have an enthusiastic Drama Society and an ambitious Rambling Club. We hope to have a Go-Karting Club by the time you read this as the Science group are making their own vehicles and we intend to compete in LAMCO competitions. We are just now the unofficial LAMCO ping-pong champions.

At the moment Brother Martin O’Reilly is busily engaged in producing ”Joseph and His Technicolor Dream Coat”, which we hope to perform at Graduation and in a concert which we hope to stage in Monrovia at the beginning of the long vacation.

In the public examinations this year we again had 100% success. So far nobody has failed an examination, a state of things too good to last! We have a senior graduating class of twenty-four this year. Graduation will be on December 4 th.

Altogether we have one hundred and fifty students, of whom twenty-nine are candidates for the priesthood. We expect thirty members of Peace Corps for some months of orientation before they begin their two-year stint as volunteer workers in various parts of the country .

Finally a word of thanks to the community and boys at Scotus for their assistance towards the missionary work here and their prayers. We would ask you to remember especially in your prayer this year the cause of further’ Liberianisation’.



The school trip to Rome included about 30 boys. We were privileged to assist at the Papal Mass on Palm Sunday close to the High Altar in St. Peter’s. On the last day of the school years two busloads of Scotus boys visited the Holy Island, Lindisfarne, in Northumberland.



The Fifth and Sixth Year boys recently spent an afternoon at Simpson House. Miss Platt had invited the classes after a talk at school on the topic of drugs. The boys were greeted and shown into a room to see a film on the lives of drug takers. As the boys expectantly waited, their eyes were caught by the many horrific posters on the walls, warning about drugs. Before the film, Miss Platt showed a typical syringe and needle used to administer drugs. The needle was all of three inches long and blunt; it was quite a frightening implement.

The film to be shown had been made in London with the co-operation of real drug addicts. Miss Platt advised the boys not to look if they found part of the film too gruesome. The film was in colour. One of the first addicts interviewed admitted, “Once you’re fixed, you’re dead.” Another addict told the story of Andy. Andy was nineteen and lived only six weeks after starting on drugs. Then some gruesome film of a post-mortem was shown. The doctor had to establish the positive identification of the drugs used. After first weighing the body, which was very light as the person had lost interest in eating as one of the effects of the drugs, the doctor began taking the stomach to pieces. This film made many of the boys turn away, it certainly made my stomach turn over.

Next the film showed administration of the drugs. Both addicts had difficulty finding a vein to inject because the drugs had made the veins collapse. The veins could only be brought to the surface by rubbing and then injecting the drug. The film concluded by showing a man who had been addicted . He recalled when everyday he would wake up and be sick, then go and steal or borrow money for drugs since he could no longer work for the money. He said that drugs were ‘rubbish’ and a waste of money. He had spent about twelve pounds a day. Fortunately he had had the will to cure himself with assistance from a drug clinic, like the one in Simpson House. It turned out that the post mortem in the film had been carried out on his elder sister.

The film had had the desired effect. Miss Platt summed up that an addict could only be cured if he himself wished it, and it was extremely easy to become an addict again. Miss Platt then showed the way to the Discovery Room in Simpson House where a century earlier Mr. Simpson discovered the use of anaesthetics, which have, made operations painless for hospital patients.

Our thanks are due, once again, to Miss Platt for organising such an interesting and most worthwhile afternoon for the boys and teachers.




Last summer I was lucky enough to be able to spend five weeks of my summer holidays on the Cote d’ Azur and in the north-eastern provinces. The Cote d’ Azur-alias the Riviera-was always hot. The temperature never fell lower than ninety degrees during the day.

My journey over to France was rather traumatic. I boarded a B.E.A. Hawker Siddley Trident Three at Edinburgh airport and take-off was delayed for half an hour due to a, nowadays, very frequent bombscare. Forty-five minutes later I arrived at Manchester and I waited half an hour again before flying on to London and then to Paris. When I reached Paris I was truly “tres fatigue.”

AtParis I had to navigate my way from Orly Airport to the centre of the world’s most glamorous city. There I met a friend of one of my friends who arranged for me to have a bus tour round Paris lasting three hours and costing four pounds!! I didn’t pay! The bus toured all round Paris, to the Eiffel tower, the Louvre, the Champs Elyssees, etc., and at the end of it I almost collapsed.

At six o'clock I then had to catch a train to Grenoble-a journey of seven hours. When I was safely installed in a cabin-after snatching a bite to eat-maybe that would be an understatement and I’d better say I took a hamper of food-I tried to get some “shut eye.” Alas! This was impossible, owing to the noise of the French trains. At 12.54 a.m., after glaring at the supposedly lovely French countryside for seven hours, I arrived at Grenoble. There some friends were to meet me and they had arranged an overnight stay in a hotel.

At the crack of dawn I was awoken after a little sleep and told that we had to make a hundred and fifty mile journey to San Maxime, next door neighbour to San Tropez.



(The winning speech for the Public Speakers Contest 1973)

My talk this evening, Mr. Chairman, Ladies and Gentlemen, is on moonshine, which for those of you who haven’t heard the term before is another name for that alcoholic beverage that comes to us in gills, nips, halves or even gallons - according to one’s capacity-of whisky. Moonshine was the name given to whisky distilled illegally in America during the days of Prohibition - presumably because it was made by moonlight in the garden shed. And it gives its name to a song, the chorus of which runs:- “Oh Moonshine, Oh Moonshine, Oh how I love thee! Your killed my old father, but dare you kill me. I’ve Moonshine for breakfast and Moonshine for tea. Oh Moonshine, Oh Moonshine, Oh how I love thee!” It is a chorus which I’m told can frequently be heard echoing from Sixth Form common rooms, and Speakers’ Clubs throughout the country. I’d like to have sung it for you myself, but unfortunately my voice is breaking at the moment.

The four main whisky producing countries in the world are the United States, Canada, Ireland and of course Scotland, each with its own distinct type of whisky according to the grain and water available in that area. For example, Scotch whisky is unique to Scotland, for only here can be found the spring water rising through granite and over peat moss. And it’s this peat that technically gives the whisky its colour, though most of the colouring is likely to be artificial nowadays. The overall effect of whisky is pretty much the same whatever the country of origin. And the consequences of over-indulgence are only too apparent in this day and age. They are perhaps best summed up by this short verse. “I must have a drink at eleven, it’s a duty that has to be done. If I don’t have a drink at eleven, I must have eleven at one.”

Whisky was first made in Ireland and Scotland around 1495 when it was known in the Latin as “aquavita” - the water of life—a name which it has certainly lived up to for many these days.

Malt or pot-still whiskies are distilled chiefly in the Highlands while grain whiskies are made in this Central part of the country. The two are blended with a couple of other rare types to form the whiskies we see in the shops - Haigs, Bells, Crawfords etc. Occasionally we do see malts, that is unblended whiskies. These are generally dearer as they have a bigger kick and come from such areas of the Highlands as Glenlivet, Glenfarelos, where whisky-making is the main way of life. Blending the various types is an art of its own and great care must be taken to mix the correct proportions of malt and grain whiskies to obtain the desired taste and effect. The manufacturing companies naturally keep their recipes strictly secret.

Canadian and American whiskies are made from corn and rye and have a milder taste than our own. Irish whisky on the other hand is similar to our own in taste but is badly spelt as ‘Whiskey’. This is probably quite a good thing as we don’t want to be too similar to the Irish these days.

The Japanese are also moving in to the whisky industry and they’ve even renamed one of their towns Scotland. So that its distillery can print “Made in Scotland” on its whisky bottles. No doubt the owners will be calling themselves Johnny Walker just for extra effect.

I’d like to have told you something about the making of whisky, but some of us are too young to drink and the information might only have promoted unlawful ideas. And anyway time’s pressing and I’m sure you’ll only be too anxious to return to the bar and sample some more of the many different brands of Moonshine they seem to have on offer.





Earlier this year a bus load of boys from Scotus went on a trip to Rome. It was decided that the trip should take place during the Easter holidays. Most of the boys came from Primary Seven, Form One and Form Two. Brother Livingstone and Brother Lennon were the teachers who accompanied us. We had to take a coach from Edinburgh to London, and then fly to Rome.

We left St. Andrew’s Square bus station at 8 o'clock in the evening and started on the long journey to London. When, surprisingly, the bus stopped, we got out and found we were at an over-night cafe just off the motorway. We stopped there about 2.00 a.m. and stayed until 2.45 p. m. SP went mad on the one armed bandit.

We reached busy London at 6.55 a.m. The streets were packed and guards, half sleeping, were in the Palace fore-court. The plane didn’t leave until 1 p.m. so we had plenty of time to look around. We walked about as much of London as we could. We visited Westminster Abbey. Then we went for our airport bus. We got to the airport early, left our luggage and went through the metal detector. An announcement told us the flight was delayed an hour. I felt a bit glad because this was going to be my first flight. When we got started though it was a wonderful experience to be up in the clouds. We would have to lunch in the plane. Stratford Johns, Barlow, the star of “Softly, Softly,” was sitting just a few seats away. The flight took two hours, although it seemed only minutes.

It was nearing five when we got to Rome. Outside the airport was a coach which took us to the hotel in the city centre. The land in Italy is very flat, and all the boys were marvelling at the sunshine. Everyone was amazed at all the fast traffic. The Rector told us what rooms to share. As soon as we got changed dinner was ready. We had some Italian food, bread and water. Nearly everyone ate it, but it did not taste very nice. Afterwards we wandered around for an hour, then went early to bed as the Rector said we would have to get up for 7.00 a.m. A lot of us still came down half sleeping.

On the first day we visited historic sites near the hotel. In the afternoon we went shopping at a store called Standa’s.

Gradually, as we got used to Rome, we went further. One day we went to the pride of Rome, the Vatican and St. Peter’s Church. St. Peter’s was very beautiful and there was no church anywhere to touch it with its beauty and its height.

The days passed much too quickly and soon it would be time for us to leave. On our last day in Rome the Rector let us go shopping. A group of boys went past St. Peter’s square and on to a shop called Soprani’s. The group was split into two and each group would go into the shop for half an hour.

Next morning we were up early to pack and move out to the airport. Again we had time to ourselves but everyone just sank into a chair and waited for the plane. When it came we all jumped into it eagerly and couldn’t wait to get back to Britain.

When the plane took off, we were a bit worried. There was a fuel crisis and the plane never got sufficient fuel for the return journey to Britain. But the Captain explained that the plane would stop in the French town of Nice and get some more fuel.

Soon we were flying over London. The plane was travelling ten minutes and we were still on the outskirts. When we got to Heathrow airport, by the time the passengers got out of the plane it was after lunch time. James McCabe’s parents were waiting to take him home.

We got something to eat at the Caftteria. By the time we were all ready the coach back to Edinburgh had just arrived. Soon we were on our way back home where we were expected at about 7.00 a.m. Unfortunately the coach crashed. We had to get an old bus back to Edinburgh, draughty and without heating and we were two hours overdue. It was 9.00 a.m. when we returned to Edinburgh and our parents were waiting for us.




The school’s “donkey derby” was very good, it went like clockwork. Its amusements were handled very well.

There were many people with cameras hoping they would get pictures of someone falling off a donkey which happened in practically every race. I’m sure there were lots of pictures of riders falling. Every person who came in 1 st or 2 nd in each race won a rosette.

There was very good amusement in the big tent. For instance you could pay ten pence for a raffle ticket and if the number matched the number on a bottle it was yours. There were many kinds of bottles, cider, Pepsi-cola, lemonade, whisky, vodka, beer, brandy and many bottles of champagne.

There was a coconut-shy, but to knock down the four coconuts you had to hit them with hockey balls. Since the balls were hard and heavy you would very likely hit the coconuts and at the same time crack them open.



Man studies mythology to find out about the religion, science and literature of ancient peoples, such as the Hindus, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. You find out about their religions because mythology tells you about their gods and how they worshipped them. You find out about their science because they explained natural events by making up stories of supernatural causes for them. You find out about their literature because mythology records their favourite stories.

There are three main theories of how myths began. The first is that the peoples’ gods were invented from stories about heroes who had actually lived. The second has to do with the fact that language changes through the ages and in time words changed in meaning . So a story might change and mean something different after many hundreds of years had passed. The third theory is that all natural things, which the people did not understand, were personified and turned into human beings in a story and stories made up to explain them. This third theory is the most likely one and very widely believed.

There are many similarities among the myths of different countries. This is probably due to the fact that people living in the same world had similar questions and similar answers.

The Greek and Roman myths are the same. This happened because the Romans went to Greece, conquered it, and copied their myths,




I am a member of a Pipe Band, which is one of the best (or so I think).

The Bandmaster’s name is Bert Rowen. He and his father more or less run the Pipe Band. We play at public gatherings regularly and the band has won several trophies.

The Band has eight pipers, including me, and it has quite a few learners preparing to come into the group. The corps has also six regular drummers. But this is far too many, so not all of them play when we are at public gatherings.

I am now a regular piper and am finding, like all the other pipers, that people want me to play for their Burns supper or at a party.

The Pipe Band meets every Thursday night and on a Monday we have a chanter practice. This is so that we can learn the tunes and the younger members who are not yet on the pipes can also learn.

The pipes are an ancient musical instrument. You find the same thing all over the world, but not perhaps in the same shape or in the same form. The Normandy pipe has only one drone.


We want our heaters,
We want our light.
We want our daytime
As long as our night.

We want to play,
We want our pay.
We do not want
To work hard all day.

We’re wanting this,
And we’re wanting that.
But we don’t want our presents
All covered in V.A. T.

The worker replies with
Tears in his eyes,
“Don’t give us all that,
You know it’s all lies.”

We’d love to play and
Work hard all day.
But how do we do this
If we don’t get the pay?

The Public replies with hate
In their eyes,
“Just get out of the door,
We don’t need you no more.





Yesterday morning I want to a Fencing Competition at the Royal High School. It was novices competition, which means that none of the competitors have won a competition. There were about ten boys from Scotus entering.

By ten o'clock all the competitors were in the gym and waiting to play. The judges pooled the names and split all the people into groups.

Each group contained six boys, or girls. Two of the group would fence and the other four would act as judges, and there was also a man who acted at president.

When the fencing started, the president called numbers one and two to commence play. When they had finished number one was the winner. Next came number three and four, then five and six. As I was number six, I played and lost five hits to one.

After that they split us up again so that each of us could play the other five in the group. My second game was against a boy about my size but far more experienced at competitions. He beat me five hits to three. Then there was a very tall boy but in contrast could hold his foil always below his opponent’s foil and he beat me five hits to zero.

I won my fourth game, by five hits to four against a boy who was about the same height as me but he had black hair. I lost the last game against a boy called McGill, he beat me five hits to three.


By G. Haughey, C. Deery, S. Mclauchlan and M. Clark of P7

On Thursday the 21 st of June we went on a hike from Balerno to Penicuik. We started on the same route as last year until we reached the reservoir, then we went right, to Black Hill. Brother Hall said, “If the mist goes up we will climb.” As we got near we saw that the hill was too high so we climbed up a lower part.

After a bit I began to feel tired and we had to rest; we rested for a little while and some others went on. When we got up we moved off in a row, one behind the other and we went in zig-zags.

On the other side of the hill we saw Edinburgh’s reservoirs and we stopped at a waterfall and paddled in the water.

About half an hour later we moved back the way we came, but we took a different turning and went along by the reservoir. Then we got the bus home, it was really great fun and was a lovely day.




On the last day of the summer term the boys from the Primary School and First Year went by bus to Berwick and Lindisfarne Island. There were two coaches, black and white with tartan carpets. It was not a very nice journey, but nobody cared about that. The journey was a long one and it took about three hours to get there.

When we arrived at about twelve o'clock the weather cleared up a lot, but not very much. We collected our food and bought some sweets. After the sweets were gone, the boys dispersed in different groups. Tony Rostant had brought his dinghy. We went to find a nice piece of sandy beach. Adrian De Luca kindly lent us his dinghy, but on the way Richard started kicking the ball about and by mistake kicked it into the sea. We all started throwing stones to try and get the ball back, but it went further. Gerald went and put his swimming trunks on and tried to swim out for the ball but the water was too cold and he could not swim out that far. We tried to reach it in Tony’s rubber dinghy but it was too far.

We decided to have a swim although the water was freezing cold. Later in the day when the tide was out we went to the small town of Lindisfarne. There were no big shops in the town just places like the post office and other necessary stores. In the centre of the village was the showroom with a notice inviting people in to look around. The island has a long history. The Rector brought back a bottle of the local wine called Lindisfarne Mead as it had been a pretty cold day.




We left the house at 11.30 p.m. for the midnight Mass at Redford Barracks. The stars shone on to the snow-covered paths and trees. When we arrived at the church it was only 11.45 p. m. and there were people outside having snowball fights. So we joined in.

After the Mass we went home in the car. I immediately went into the lounge to start opening the Christmas presents, but my bigger brother hauled me out. I went to bed at 1.00 a.m. I didn’t get to sleep till 1.30a.m.

I woke up at eight. I switched on the radio to hear Tony Blackburn doing his ‘thing.’ I ran downstairs making a great amount of noise. I ran into the lounge and there was a whole load of presents! It appeared that I was the first person up. I immediately dug into the presents. I saw a large parcel addressed to me. I tore it open and found it to be a power controller for my train set. I put that aside. Another smaller parcel turned out to be two British Rail coaches. These two presents were from my mother and father. Next, I opened a present from my brother. It was a loco for my layout and it was a very expensive loco! My first sister gave me a record of Gary Glitter and the other gave me a gift voucher. I would get another record with that and maybe a pen set.

By now my two sisters had joined me in opening their presents. They got all the smelly stuffs, perfume, bubble bath, talc. My mother got a large set of crystal glasses and a silk scarf and a Cashmere sweater. My Dad got a zoom lens for his camera from all of us and a tie from me. My brother got a bottle of aftershave, a pullover, shaving set and a bottle of whisky!

I then had my breakfast. After breakfast there was the usual T. V. on with Donald Duck, Tom and Jerry and Dr. Who. I saw only one programme to do with the real Christmas meaning-a boring slow-talking programme about the Birth of Christ which we have heard hundreds of times.

Later we went to our Grannie’s and got yet again more presents and money. We had a lovely Christmas dinner with plum pudding, turkey and other delicacies.



In past years Hockey has been a post-Christmas sport for the 1 st XV, but in the absence of a 1 st Rugby team the chance has come to concentrate on Hockey in two terms.

So far the team is unbeaten, having played against Falkland, St. Margaret’s and securing a draw with St. Augustine’s.

Wingers Doherty and McGuire have been making the chances for Deluca, Conlon and Drawbell to score from in the middle. Good midfield work comes from T. Maguire, Wee and Toole in gaining possession and distributing the ball. Maguire and Wee often prove useful in attack with speed and in dribbling. At back the iron defence of Stevenson, Price and Smith has been an impenetrable combination. Price is sweeper in the centre, with Stevenson and Smith stopping the wingers. New to his position, Di Ciacca has become an aggressive and reliable goal-keeper.

Scotus v. Falkland: 5-4.
Scotus v. St. Augustine’s: 3-3.
Scorers’ McGuire (3 goals), Conlon (2 goals), Maguire (2 goals), Drawbell (1 goal), Deluca (1 goal).



This year our school golf competition was held on the famous Dalmahoy Golf Course. It was arranged to be played on a school holiday. It was a lovely day, in fact, a perfect golfing day. No wind and very warm.

The first to tee off were due to start at 11.30 a.m. Taking part were boys from both Junior and Senior classes.

Final Results
Seniors -
1. K. Price 73 Grays
2. M. Harkess 77 McDonalds
3. R. Christie Grays

After the match prizes were presented by Mr. Clark, secretary of the Dalmahoy Golf Club. We owe him thanks both for the presentation and the use of the very fine course.

I would particularly like to thank Mr. Smith, our member of Staff, for his hard work in making this year’s competition a huge success, and looking after us during the season.



Having won gold medals in their respective age groups at local competitions Stefano Boni (Third Year) and Paul Hepburn (First Year) travelled to Munich in a party of nine representing the Edinburgh Schools Judo Association. David Flint, Chairman of the Association writes:

“I must say we were delighted with the great spirit shown by all the youngsters during the very difficult first few days of the programme.

In their matches they were competing against some of the top young judo players in Germany and they put up first class performances.

The overall result shows a total of 27 wins and 24 losses; it does not show how very close and exciting most of the matches were, many of the results having to be decided by the referee.

Stefano Boni’s results versus TSV GROSHADERN and MTV JUDOABTEILUNG HABERL TR, played 5, won 4, speak for themselves. Paul Hepburn played 5, won 1, did much better than would appear from his results as he was given very tough opposition.

They are to be congratulated on their conduct and sportsmanship and we hope that they will receive every possible encouragement to continue their training, they could have a great future in this sport.



The annual school sports were held before Easter, on April 7 th, to enable Forms 4, 5, and 6 to participate.

The first events took place just before 11.00 a. m. The weather was favourable and everything went smoothly until lunch time. McDonald House (93 points) led Gray House (68 points) by twenty five points in the field events held before Sports Day. As the track events progressed so did the McDonald lead increase and despite victories in the U.12, U.13 U.14 relays by the Grays, the McDonald House won handsomely by 86 points.


The Seniors were competing for two new trophies this year. The first was the “Ford Memorial Pentathlon Trophy” presented by the Scotus Association in honour of the late Mr. George Ford, a former President of the Association. This was won by Ian Mackay, Chris Barrett taking second place. The second new trophy was the Munro Cup for the Senior 1500 metres, presented by Lindsay Munro. This was also won by I an Mackay.

The outstanding athletes of the Sports were K. Christie, who won four gold medals, and K. Di Ciacca, C. Bain, R. Di Rollo, and P. Main, all of whom won three gold medals.

The prizes were presented this year by Mr. W. B. Yelland, who has in the past con- tributed greatly to the fencing in the school. A special word of thanks is due to him for giving up his time on the day and displaying such keen interest in the sporting activities of the school.

I would like also to thank the Scotus Association for financing the trophies, medals and prizes for the competition and for providing the loudspeaker system. Thanks are due to the members of Staff, Parents and Former Pupils who gave so much help on the day and thus ensured the smooth running of the Sports.

Bro. P. McDermott, Gamesmaster.



Scotus had four representatives in the Finals of the Edinburgh Schools Swimming Championships held at the Royal Commonwealth Pool in September. Joseph Boni (Primary Seven) came 7 th in the U12 Freestyle and 6 th in the Breaststroke. David Gibson (Primary Seven) came 8 th in the U12 Breaststroke and 4 th in the Backstroke. Ricardo Boni (First Year) was 4 th in the U14 Backstroke.

The U14 Relay Team, including the four swimmers above, came 4 th in the event contested by Melville, George Watsons, Royal High and George Heriots. The team deserve especial congratulation on these excellent results.




The rugby teams in the primary school have, in the past, had difficulty and have suffered not a few defeats. To try to overcome this problem, which was basically due to small numbers, we have drawn the J. B. team from P.6 and P .5. This means that more boys are available for practice and hence are able to get much more sense of the game, by having practice games among themselves. We also made sure that no fixtures were made until well into October, this enabled us to have extra practice and also contributed to improving the standard of this year’s team.

In the first game that we had, one main problem showed itself; our scrum was very strong but was too hesitant in getting involved! They held back, rather than going in first time to get possession of the ball. We are well on the way to curing this fault however, with a general willingness and a good team spirit as the main weapons.

The team itself:-
The scrum is made up of a very strong and tough front row, P. Mackay (P.6) and P. Wong (P.6) being the two props, with S. Haughey (P.6) as hooker. These three make a formidable trio and are the most important members of the team-they must first gain possession of the ball before the rest of the team can work. Of course they are backed up by a very able scrum; second row are chosen from M. Gregor (P.5), E. McCabe (P.4), P. Montanini (P.5) and D. Gardner (P.5). The pack leader and No.8 in the scrum is T. Delicata (P.6) and the other two forwards are P. Gallo (P.6) and P. Stewart (P.5), all of whom do a very good job.

The scrum half and stand off are M. Patterson (P.6) and P. Campbell (P.6J. They link very well together; the skilful passes by the scrum half and the understanding between them form the vital link between the forwards and backs.

The centres (whose job is to do the actual scoring of tries) are the very capable D.

James (P.6) and S. Ross (P.6), who back each other up well and make the scrum’s work worth while by being ready to receive the ball and to GO!

Wingers are next (A. Stewart and J. Buist, both of P.6). They back up the centres and play an important role in the team’s defence, both are very good.

Finally there is the full back, A. Wong (P.5), who will tackle anyone of the opposition who manages to get through the efficient defence of the rest of the team; in all, he completes a very promising team.

Played 5,
Won 2,
Lost 3.
Points for 58. against 64.

Four of our nine matches had to be cancelled. Edinburgh Academy won the first match 26-0. Two weeks later, with two players short, George Watson’s narrowly beat us 18-16. We beat Gillsland Park 16-8. In our first home match against John Watson’s we won 16-6. Our last match, against Melville Stewarts finished controversially. We lost 4-6 after a try was disallowed. Conditions were very windy and difficult that day.

We had good forwards this year with J. Boni, David Gibson, Ernest di Ciacca, Michael Graham Haughey, George Twiss, Paul Gallagher, Richard Aherne and Chris Deery.

Gardiner Dick played scrum-half, with Edward Wilson, the Captain, at fly-half. Gavin Chater, Simon Campbell, Peter Main played as backs, with Niall Kenny as full back. Wingers were David Hunter, Stuart McLaughlan and Paul Johnston.

Specially noticeable this season were the accuracy of David Hunter’s kicking, and the speed and courage of Joseph Boni, Gavin Chater and Niall Kenny. They were fully supported by the forwards.

Played 5.
Won 1.
Lost 3.
Drawn 1.
Points for 56. Against 116.


The season began with a pleasing 4-4 draw against a strong Falkland team After this came three disastrous defeats at the hands of Edinburgh Academy, George Heriots and Falkland. In the first of these games we were completely outplayed and despite various attacks on our part, the strong tackling of the opposition stopped us from scoring. By some mistake the Heriot’s side that played against us was selected from the class above us and they won easily by 56-0. In spite of this it was an excellent game and everyone enjoyed it. When Falkland returned to play us for a second time at Murrayfield they fielded a much stronger team and defeated us 28-0. The Woodmill side that we faced in the next game was rather inexperienced and we defeated them 48-0.
So far this season our team has played with a considerable amount of skill, courage and stamina and would appear to have great potential; Competition for a place in the team is very keen and this helps to explain the great efforts of both backs and forwards.

We would like to thank those Former Pupils who have refereed our games and those faithful parents who have regularly supported us on Saturday mornings.


So far this season, the C XV has played six games and won three of them.

As a team this C XV is not quite so convincing as last season, lacking that spirit and drive that was such a characteristic of theirs.

Against Falkland, the team gave up playing well after the first five minutes, because we were playing against a side made up of boys with an average age of 14 1/2. We were beaten 48-8. Against Edinburgh Academy, Boroughmuir and Woodmill the side played well, but were very disappointing in the second half against Portobello and threw the match away.

Yet again, Christopher Bain led the team well, but the backs could be brought more effectively into the game. Chris is a great encouragement to the team when he tackles, scores tries and kicks goals.

The forwards were led by Angelo Deponio and good efforts came from A. Mar- joribanks, V. Margiotta, E. Gregor, and J. DiRollo.

K. Croan, A. Kelly, H. Fox and G. Fraser played well in the backs as did A. De Luca, S. Capaldi and K. Dorrian. Ambrose Kelly and Alex Wilson missed matches owing to serious injury.

The team has improved considerably in recent weeks and should do better during the remainder of the season.

Thanks are due to those parents who supported us and to our dedicated former pupil, Jack Kerr, who refereed our matches.



Hon. President: Br. Rector.

Captain: John Bartholomew. VI.
Treasurer: Richard Edie. VI,
Secretary: Ogilvie Robertson. V.
Matire d’ Armies: Adrian Twisss. IV.

The year 1973 saw the departure of Charles Redmond and Maxim Anderson, whose services to the club for many years will always bmbered. Ae remes fencers and administrators, they have kept the club ‘on guard’ during a rather difficult year. Both have now moved on to University and we offer them best wishes for the future.

We welcomed to the club six new members: Chi Fi Chan, Michael Brand, Fergus Christie, Simon P, Simon Walton, and Peter Ricca, Bringing the total membership to twenty. These new members have shown a tremendous enthusiasm and determination for the sport, giving a much-needed boost to the club. Some of these are very promising for the future.

During the year, we have entered several competitions, both at local and national level. In February, the Scottish Schoolboys Foil Competition proved interesting. We entered eight fencers of which six got through the first round. A. Twiss and R. Smith both reached the third round of the juniors, and J. Bartholomew reached the semi-final of the seniors.

The Scottish Schools Week Championships, held in April, were not as successful for Scotus as they have been in the past. Both Juniors and Seniors had difficulty in qualifying for the second round: P. Bartholomew, T. Anderson and G. Twiss just failed to do so. In the Junior Foil, A. Twiss, R. Smith, and O. Robertson qualified. In the Senior Foil only C. Redmond and J. Bartholomew qualified. However, in the Senior Epee, J. Bartholomew reached the Semi-final, taking 6 th place in that round.

In May, there were two major competitions: the Portobello School Fencing Tournament, and the Inverclyde Tournament. In the former, we had four entrants of which only one reached the quarter finals. The Inverclyde Tournament was held in Largs, over the weekend 25 th - 27 th May. J. Bartholomew represented Scotus. It was an interesting experience and an opportunity to meet some of Britain’s best fencers, many coming from University clubs. John reached the second round in Epee but failed to qualify for the Foil.


During the summer term, some boys attended coaching from the National coach, Prof. Bracewell, at Meadowbank on Thursday evenings. At the end of this session of lessons a competition was held in which J. Bartholomew took first place.

In the Autumn term, we had entries for three competitions. In the Edinburgh Novices Competition, we had one entrant, Michael Brand. Having fenced for only a month, he did well to reach the second round. Owing to injury, he was unfortunately unable to continue in the competition. Many of our beginners entered the East Section Novices competition held in November. It was only the older fencers who reached the second round.

The best results of the season were achieved at the Edinburgh Schools Fencing Tournament. This took place in December at Boroughmuir and the following results are worth noting: Adrian Twiss reached the semi-finals of the Junior Foil though he failed. to qualify in the Sabre. Ramsay Smith reached the quarter-finals of the Junior Foil. John Bartholomew reached the semi-finals of the Senior Foil and gained 4 th place in the finals of Epee. The Scotus Team, consisting of the three fencers above, reached the semi-finals of the team event in the Foil.

As well as these competitions the school also had three inter-school matches, the results of which were not impressive: -
Sen. Foi.: 4-5. Sen. Epee: 5-4. Jun. Foil: 3-6.
Sen. Foil: 4-5. Jun. Foil: 3-6.
Sen. Foil: 5-4. Jun. Foil: 1-8.

Results in bold type denote victories for Scotus.

During the year, the club welcomed Mrs. Jean Maclardy as its new coach. She replaces Mr. Stuart Dodds who coached the team last year. We wish to thank Mr. Craig Coussins who also assisted with the coaching during part of the Autumn term.

In a look back to the past we remember with pride when Scotus Academy Fencing Club was probably the best in Scotland. Many of our former members have kept up the sport with much success. We think especially of names like Ian Campbell, Mike Mayo, Gordon Flavell and Peter Rogers. Ian Campbell has been the most successful of these. He was one of three epeeists to represent Britain in the World Under-20 Championships in Argentina in April 1973. In February 1973 Mike Mayo Came second and third in the British Universities Championships for Foil and Epee. He also won the Scottish Men’s Junior Foil in November 1972.

Last September at the two day open fencing tournament at Aviemore Mike Mayo won the Epee event with lain Campbell runner-up.

In concluding we would like to thank the Parents Association for their financial support, it is largely due to them that the Club has been so successful. We would also appeal to parents of the present fencers to encourage their sons in the sport and in particular in the various competitions which of course offer the best grounding for experience in the sport. We expect the year 1974 to be one of the more successful years in the Club’s history.









This site is
built and maintained by
Maurice Dougan of Saltire Solutions,
Web consultancy


The main Sponsor
of this site is
Bridge Systems Ltd


Content copyright Saltire Solutions 2017